Saturday, February 24, 2018

Dreams and Reality

It was time. It needed an update. I know, pink stripes don't seem very novel, but they have a certain cozy elegant feel which appeals to me. Picture a dressing room in the 1800's lit by oil lamp with pink stripe wallpaper. There is a fireplace to one side with a roaring fire, in front of which the old family dog lies. The room is furnished with an elaborately carved dressing table on which are sitting a silver tray with various perfumes and a hairbrush and comb with marble handles. The tall window has lace curtains which are pulled back to allow a view of the snowy field beyond which can barely be seen as the evening light fades. There is a lovely woman in the room who is being attended to by her ladies maid as she prepares to meet the guests who have just begun arriving for supper. There is already much talk and laughter wafting up from downstairs and the evening is guaranteed to be a pleasant one, considering the guest list tonight.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather find out what happens in that story than finish reading this blog post! No, please don't go. I promise, that story is a figment of my imagination, and I have not decided what happens next. Maybe I have been reading too much 19th century literature lately. For book club several months ago, we read Pride and Predjudice since some of our members had not read it yet. Then 2 weeks ago, we all got together on a Friday evening and watched the long BBC production with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Which of course put me in the mood for more Jane Austen, and as I injured my neck two days after that, I laid in bed and watched the four-part version of Emma and the two-part version of Sense and Sensibility. Now I am listening to Sense and Sensibility on my Overdrive app while I drive to and from work, because it's been nearly 18 years since I read the book and I had to find out how accurate the two different movies on that book really are.

Now I have wasted an entire thirty minutes trying to find a photo to go with the picture in my head, but there are none, at least not that I have the patience to find. So I guess I should re-orient my head to my agenda for today, part of which is to make that blueberry cake/bread I mentioned yesterday. Maybe I'll make it for breakfast. Or maybe I'll make coconut flour pancakes for breakfast and that cake for lunch. Although odds are, I'll be busy doing half a dozen things by lunch and not want to actually stop to cook. I think today, though, my focus should be to enjoy the minutes, not over-plan and over-work myself as those things invariably lead to a stressed and iritable wife and mother. Yes, just breathe. How's wine at 6:30 am sound? JUST KIDDING!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment